Here is a simple and easy recipe to make cherry scones. It only takes less than 30 minutes, then you have your freshly baked cherry scones ready to go! You’ll also find the printable recipe card to download and print.
After several hours of research, I found the best way for you to bake those cherry scones like a pro.
Continue reading if you want to learn:
- The best way to make homemade cherry scones
- What is the difference between British and American scones
- Some useful and necessary baking tips
- How to serve your cherry scones
- Related FAQs
- How to store
Cherry Scones Recipe
- 15-20 Fresh Cherries
- 3 ¾ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ⅓ cup White Sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted Butter
- 2 medium Eggs
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp Milk
- 1-2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- Some lemon or orange zest, optional
- Start by preheating your oven to 460°F (240°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the butter into small cubes, put in the refrigerator.
- Roughly chop the cherries. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Add in the butter cubes and rub them into the flour mixture with your fingers until the mixture resembles crumbles.
- Stir in the cherries until moistened and just well combined.
- Crack the eggs in a small bowl and whisk them. Set ½ of an egg aside. You’ll need it for later.
- Add then the milk to the 1 and ½ egg, whisk.
- You can also add some orange or lemon zest for even more flavor.
- Add the egg-milk mixture into the flour mixture and combine to have a rather soft dough. Crumbles are okay.
- Transfer the dough into a floured surface, and with floured hands, shape a circle (9 inches diameter for 1 inch thick).
- With a floured knife, cut 8 equal triangles.
- Place the scones in the previously prepared baking sheet and brush with the ½ egg.
- Sprinkle some brown sugar for extra crispiness.
- Time to bake! Bake in your preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until gently browned.
- When removed from the oven, let sit for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring it to a wire rack to let it cool completely.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Printable Recipe Card
If you like this recipe, here you have the printable recipe card you can download and print. Enjoy your cherry scones!
Feel free to share it on your social networks and pin it on your Pinterest. 🙂
American Scones Vs. British Scones
Here are some differences between British and American scones.
British scones are usually plain and made with less sugar and butter and they are flakier. They are eaten with butter or sweet jam.
American scones are sweeter and cakier and have more butter and they are often made with fresh or dried fruits, nuts… And they are usually served without any additions.
How to serve cherry scones
You can serve your cherry scones with some whipped cream, butter, lemon curd, or jam; as you can serve them with a cup of tea or coffee.
Have some problems and need some tips to have a perfect result and avoid getting in trouble? Here are some mistakes to avoid and some tips that could be useful.
- Make sure all your ingredients are cold.
- Don’t overwork the dough! It will be very tough to knead later and the cherries will make it soggy! You surely want to avoid that.
- You can roll the dough out to a rectangle and cut for square scones or hand shape into a circle and slice for triangle scones.
- You can either shape your dough out to a rectangle and go for square scones, or shape it out to a circle and go for triangle scones.
- Bake on the middle rack of your oven for an even baking.
- If your cherries  are large, roughly chop them before adding them to the dough.
- The colder your dough, the better your cherry scones will be!
- While kneading your dough, don’t use a rolling pin. Use your hands to flatten and shape the dough
- Dried blueberries can be used instead of cherries.
- For even more flavor, add some orange or lemon zest into your dough.
- You can either brush your cherry scones with egg or heavy cream.
Can you freeze scones before baking?
Yes, you can. Wrap each scone in plastic wrap, and place in your refrigerator!
How to bake frozen cherry scones?
Take your frozen cherry scones from the freezer, and put them on the counter to thaw while your oven is preheating. Then, bake them as instructed in the recipe above. 😀
Can you freeze baked cherry scones?
You can! Place them in an air-tight container, putting a piece of parchment paper between each two to avoid them from sticking to each other.
No fresh cherries?
No fresh cherries, no worries! 😀 You can use dried, preserved, or frozen cherries. If frozen, let thaw before using as instructed in the recipe. If preserved, strain well and pat dry with a kitchen towel before using!
How to Store
Store your baked and cooled cherry scones in an air-tight container or a ziplock bag for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
You can’t help but feel great after eating your homemade cherry scones. As explained in this article, you can use my recommended recipe and baking tips to bake your cherry scones.
Now you have the knowledge, it’s time for you to give it a try and enjoy your baking. Let’s activate the baking mode! 😉
If you are looking for more homemade baked goods, check our best eggless chocolate chip cookies recipe.