Here is a simple and easy recipe to prepare an Indian onion salad. It only takes less than 10 minutes to make, then you have your side dish salad ready to go! You’ll also find the printable recipe card to download and print.
After several hours of research, I found the best ways for you to prepare this indian onion salad like a pro.
Continue reading, or watch our YouTube video, if you want to learn:
- The best way to prepare your Indian onion salad
- Some useful and necessary tips
- How to personalize this recipe
- Related FAQs
Indian Onion Salad Recipe
- 1 large Onion
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro leaves
- ¼ tsp Red Chili Powder or Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt (depending on taste)
- ½ to 1 tsp Chaat Masala (optional)
- ½ tsp Curry powder
- Finely chop or make rings from your onion.
- Place in a large clean bowl. Mix.
- Add the chopped mint or cilantro leaves. Mix.
- Add red chili, salt, and chaat masala. Mix.
- Add lemon juice. Mix.
- Let sit for 5 to 15 minutes.
Printable Recipe Card
If you like this recipe, here you have the printable recipe card you can download and print. Enjoy your indian onion salad!
Feel free to share it on your social networks and pin it on your Pinterest. 🙂
This recipe can be easily modified with different ingredients, as you can add some elements and personalize your Indian onion salad.
- For example, you can add:
- Cubed cucumbers.
- Fresh parsley.
- Chopped or sliced tomatoes. Some cherry tomatoes would also match perfectly.
- Black fried bird’s eye chilis if you want your salad to be spicy and very tasty.
- You can either use:
- Coriander or fresh mint or go for half mint, half coriander.
- White, red, or sweet onions
- Lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar
- Red chili powder, or Cayenne Pepper
Here are some frequently asked questions that could help you in making a perfect Indian onion salad.
Can I make it ahead?
Of course! Make it a couple of hours ahead, then store covered in your fridge. You want to stir it a bit before serving.
Can I freeze it?
If you freeze it, your onion salad could get mushy after defrosting, especially if you used tomatoes too. So just avoid freezing it.
Here you have some of the very useful and creative tips to make a perfect onion salad recipe!
- Add some white, cane, or palm sugar to flavor your salad.
- You can use any of your favorite curry blends instead of the curry powder used in this recipe.
- Either slice your onion  or make thin rings.
- If you have any leftover Indian onion salad, don’t throw it. Add it with a grilled meat marinade.
- You can add your favorite spicy sauce to this recipe if you want.
- Feel free to double, triple, or even lessen your salad  quantity.
- Double the herbs quantity if you want to soften the raw onion flavor in your salad.
- You can add some yogurt or mint sauce to your salad leftovers and serve it as a yummy dipping sauce.
You can keep your salad at room temperature for 1 day and in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Served as a side dish or a quick meal, this indian onion salad is very tasty and can be modified and personalized in so many ways. As explained in this article, you can use my recommended recipes and cooking tips to prepare your indian onion salad.
Now you have the knowledge, it’s time for you to give it a try! Let’s activate the cooking mode! 😉
If you are looking for more easy-to-make and healthy recipes, check our best mango pineapple smoothie.